Consulting Brain Teasers:
Consulting brain teasers are well known. Their use in interviews, however, is decreasing; once used to assess how a candidate responds under pressure, Full case interviews are now usually preferred for this purpose.
You should still know what they are and do some brain teasers may be useful. The thinking processes involved in these problems can also help foster creativity that you will need in case interviews. You may have to solve some brain teasers in an interview, as solving them allows the interview to assess your problem-solving skills.
Using brain teasers to prepare for case interviews:
If you are asked to do a brainteaser in an interview it will be to assess how you approach a problem. You need to be able to approach the problem in a structured and logical way but also be able to come up with a creative solution.
Try out a brain teaser:
See some common examples of brain teasers and scroll down for corresponding answers.
1. 1. There are 12 black socks and 12 white socks together in a drawer. It is dark, and you cannot tell them apart. What’s the smallest number of socks you need to take out without looking to be sure of having a matching pair?
2. 2. Is there anything “interesting” about the following sequence of numbers?
- 8, 11, 5, 4, 9, 1, 7, 6, 10, 3, 12, 2, 0
3. 3. In a tiny cabin in the woods, two men lay dead. The cabin is not burned, but the woods around it burned. How did the men die?
1. 1. 3 socks. Assume the first sock is black. The second one could be black, in which case you have a matching pair. If the second sock is white, the third sock will be either black and match the first sock, or white and match the second sock.
2. 2. The digits are in alphabetical order. (Eight, eleven, five, four, nine, one, seven, six, ten, three, twelve, two, zero)
3. 3. It is the cabin of a plane and the plane crashed. This is known as a “Lateral Thinking” exercise, and it revolves around your ability to see that the word “cabin” can mean multiple things.
Ready for that case interview?
BBrain teasers might feature in your interview process, but they'll generally be an add on. The core of the process is the case interview . Here at My Consulting Coach we're dedicated to making sure you succeed at this, and we've prepared excellent resources to help you.
Our case interview method
Our case interview course has been developed by MBB consultants with clear goals in mind - To teach you how to think, act and communicate like a world-class strategy consultant. By going through it you'll become equipped not only to ace the interview process, but also to be a top performer at your firm.
Other methods focus on helping you memorize dozens of frameworks and pre-packed structures. We take a different approach. We believe that distinctive candidates and distinctive consultants don't rely on crutches and that they use their own minds to solve the toughest problems. We're here to help them master the concepts and processes they need to be able to shine. We can support you in:
1) Understanding business fundamentals: Get your mini-MBA with our Marketing, Strategy and Economics, Accounting & Finance modules
2) Learning how to crack a case: Identify the problem, Build a problem driven structure, Lead the analysis and how to provide recommendations.
3) Shaping your approach with our building blocks: Master profitability analysis, competitive dynamics, pricing discussions, among others.
Our coaching sessions
Coaching can help the best candidates to pinpoint their development points and turn them into strengths. They will give you self-awareness about your profile and how to best position yourself for that MBB offer. Equally importantly, they will give you the confidence to know you can succeed in such a challenging process.
Remember: No consulting firm is bad, but working >12 hours a day at your dream Firm or at your backup plan will be very different. And your future career will be as well.